Hail and other environmental factors can cause tremendous, irreversible damage to buildings and their roofing. Recognizing damage on roofing is important to ensure that it does not worsen to the point of causing other issues to your property. It is also important to know when is the right time to begin replacing or repairing your roof.
Here at Preferred Contractors we want to ensure your roof is high quality and built to last. Our trained team is ready to inspect and evaluate any type of properties roofing in order to determine the best solution. Here is how to deal with roof damage caused by hail:
How Hail Damage Happens
Hail damage can be destructive to vehicles, buildings and other items that are exposed to natural elements. There are many factors that may cause hail to be destructive. Here are a few factors that can impact the way that hail is destructive:
- Size and density: Hailstones vary in size from pea size all the way to softball sized chunks. Due to their rough texture and often high density, hailstones can cause more damage than they may look like they can.
- Wind conditions: Storms can include varying wind directions and speeds. Changes in these two factors can result in very damaging hail since it maneuvers in unpredictable routes.
- Barriers: Trees, porch overhangs and even fences can impact the way that hail damages property. Knowing the places to put your items in order to best protect them during a storm is key.
Understanding Hail Damage
The material, quality and amount of damage your roofing receives are all important factors to keep in mind when dealing with hail. Different materials react to both the impact of hail and the melting of the ice.
- Asphalt: This material of roofing can have significant effects on asphalt. Color discoloration, loss of density, and cracked shingles are all possibilities.
- Metal Roofing: While metal roofing can be scratched by outside forces, hail is not one of them. Hail often causes visible dents to metal roofing.
- Flat roofing: With flat roofing hail has the potential to leave stains from the impact and melted remains.
Knowing what impact hail can have on each type of roofing material is important when selecting your next roof type.
- Windows: Hail often results in shattered windows. When bad weather is coming your way, lowering blind and expanding curtains to protect the inside of your house and you from any potential broken glass. Hide Valuables: Ensuring that cars and outdoor furniture are hidden inside when hail is a potential in the area will help to avoid dents and scratches.
Choosing you next roofing material or when looking at the best material to repair your current roof with, we at Preferred Contractors are ready to assist in any way we can. Here at Preferred Contractors we understand the need for a sturdy roof that not only provides protection but is also pleasing to look at. We offer a variety of materials, colors and textures of roofing materials in order to best match your property. Contact us today to speak to our team about our roofing options!